Our first week back in Seattle

A week ago tonight we arrived in Seattle after two extremely long days of driving. We left San Diego on the morning of Thursday the 29th and drove 14 hours before arriving in Medford Oregon that night. Going through the Sisques mountains in Southern Oregon that night was a nightmare. The rain was coming down as hard as I’ve ever seen in my life and it was pitch black. We ended up driving 840 miles that day and it was rough, to say the least. The next day was ‘only’ about 9 hours of driving, including some terrible traffic in Tacoma, before finally arriving at Dana and Brad’s house around 7:30pm. Once again, we couldn’t have done it without Amy’s help, and I want to wish her a very happy birthday today. She’s always there for us when we need her and was a total rockstar throughout the entire moving process.

Saturday morning we got the keys to our new house and finally got to check it out. We’re happy with the place considering we moved into it without actually seeing it in person. Our only complaint is that the master bedroom is pretty small but it will be fine for the next year or two until we’re ready to buy a place. Monday morning I started my job at Amazon and I’ve been hard at work all week trying to get up to speed on all of their systems and terminology. I’m going to need to learn a new programming language called ‘Ruby on Rails’ for my job so I’ve been studying hard every night. There is no question that getting up to speed at Amazon is the toughest thing I’ve ever had to do professionally but I know I can do it. It’s going to take so much hard work but I’m more than willing to put in the time and effort. I really like the company, my teammates, and the environment. I just need to focus on finishing out my contract and getting hired as a full–time employee and we’ll be golden.

Today our POD finally arrived and we’re so excited to start unpacking our stuff tomorrow. Dana, Brad, Kallan and Anna are coming over to help us unload after I deal with getting new license plates for the Honda in the morning. I decided to get a head start tonight but ran into a problem with the latch that unlocks the door. I had trouble with it when we were getting the POD loaded up but now it’s completely stuck and will not open. I spent over an hour trying everything I could think of but so far nothing has worked. I wanted to try using some WD–40 and a hammer, which I own, but of course they are both inside the POD so we’re either going to have to borrow them or purchase new ones. No guarantees this will work but I’ve got to figure something out. It’s like torture to have all our stuff sitting in the driveway but not be able to get in.

Jessica started training right away at El Gaucho this week and will be working private holiday parties starting next week. This is their busiest month of the year so it was a good time for her to get started. Lots of my old friends are still working there so it’s cool that they are going to get to know her now as well. We’re definitely happy to be back home in Seattle and can’t wait to get fully adjusted, which basically just means getting our stuff unloaded and the house organized. We’ve been living out of bags and sleeping on an air bed for too long and are dying to get back to normal. I received the pictures from Ava’s birthday photo shoot with Lisa but haven’t been able to go through them yet due to studies for work and school. I’m sure we’ll have some great new pics up soon. It’s good to be back!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *